Tuesday, December 28, 2010

white christmas and splitting the holidays

I hope you all had an enjoyable holiday! It was a white Christmas in the mountains - truly a winter wonderland. We actually ended up spending an extra day because of the 5+ inches.


This Christmas was my first away from my family. Definitely strange, but still wonderful to be surrounded by my new family and experience new traditions. The future mister and I lucked out in that we didn't have to really hash out how to handle the holidays. We just followed in the footsteps of his older sister and her husband by alternating Thanksgiving and Christmas. So this year my family got us for Thanksgiving and his for Christmas. Thanks to technology, we were still able to have a pseudo Christmas with my family early last week via video chat. Video chat also allowed me to continue my Christmas Eve tradition of watching A Christmas Story with my little brother. I might have been hundreds of miles away on my future in-laws couch watching a different television, but my brother was right next to me, on the computer, laughing with me at all our favorite parts.


How do you split up the holidays with your significant other?

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome you were still able to watch the movie with your brother. Each year, my mom, sister and I watch A Muppet's Christmas Carol, and I couldn't imagine being away from them for the holiday. Stephen and I split up this year so that I could go home to see my family, since I only see them a couple times a year anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm very impressed that you're splitting up the holidays like that. Luckily, my guy is Jewish, so Christmas isn't really an issue :)

    ReplyDelete